Space Heater Safety
Space Heaters Need Their Space
SERVPRO of East Clackamas, Hood River & Wasco Counties reminds Columbia Gorge Residents that half of all home heating fires happen during the months of December, January, and February. The National Fire Protection Association Agency offer the following safety tips:
- Place the heater on a hard, level, and nonflammable surface. They are intended to sit on the floor and not a table.
- Establish a 3-foot kid- and pet-free zone around the heater, and never put a space heater in a child's room.
- Keep the space heater at least 3 feet away from such combustible materials as furniture, bedding, and curtains.
- Don't use a heater in a workshop or garage near paint, gas cans, or matches.
- Turn it off when you leave the room or go to bed.
- Unplug the heater when not in use by pulling the plug straight from the outlet. Check the cord for damage periodically, and don’t use it if it’s frayed or worn.
- Don’t plug another electrical device or an extension cord into the same outlet as a heater, which can cause overheating.
- Install working smoke alarms on every level of your home, and test them monthly.
SERVPRO of East Clackamas, Hood River and Wasco Counties is the Columbia River Gorges trusted choice of property owners and managers alike. The dedicated team at SERVPRO is always available 24/7/365 to service your needs!