If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (541) 386-2288

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Avoid Holiday Hazards

11/13/2018 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Avoid Holiday Hazards Stormy and Blaze know that 1 of every 3 home Christmas tree fires is caused by electrical problems.

Candles, pretty lights and decorations are just a few of the items that add to the charm and cheer of the holiday season - however if they are not used carefully your holidays may go from festive to frightful very quickly.

Review the following simple safety tips, provided by the National Fire Protection Association to greatly reduce the fire risk in your home or business.

  • Two out of five home decoration fires are started by candles. Keep candles at least 12 inches away from a flammable surface. Use sturdy candle holders. 
  • Make sure your tree and decorations are at least 3 feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, space heaters, candles, etc.
  • Use the correct type of lights for your decor. Only use outdoor lights that are rated for that environment.
  • Carefully inspect light strands for damaged wire or bulbs. Never connect more strings than what is rated by the manufacturer. 
  • Remember to turn off outdoor lights before leaving or going to sleep. Consider using timers rated for outdoor use.
  • Bring outdoor electrical lights inside after the holidays to prevent hazards. 
  • Remove your tree after the holidays, or when it dries out. Dried trees are a fire hazard and should not be left in, or next to a home. Check with your local community to find a recycling program. 

For more information about fire safety tips, or fire, smoke, water, and mold damage restoration services, call SERVPRO of East Clackamas, Hood River and Wasco Counties today at 541-386-2288.

Other News

View Recent Posts