SERVPRO Offers Candle Safety Tips
10 Commandments of Candle Safety
SERVPRO of East Clackamas, Hood River and Wasco Counties reminds Columbia Gorge residents that whether it’s a menorah, a candelabra or a single taper, it’s safe to say that candles are everywhere this holiday season.
If you're planning on lighting a candle or two this holiday season, here are the 10 commandments of candle safety.
1. Thou shall not leave thy candle unattended. This one is pretty obvious, but don’t be tempted to ignore it. 11 percent of home candle fires happen when no one is keeping an eye on things.
2. Thou shall keep candles away from small children and pets. Keep your candle well out of reach of little hands and pets—and never let a child fall asleep beside a candle.
3. Thou shall not place candles on an unstable surface. Instead, place your candle on a steady heat-resistant base.
4. Thou shall keep thy candle far, far away from other materials. This one’s a biggie when you consider the fact that 58 percent of home candle fires happen when some form of combustible material comes too close to the candle’s flame.
5. Thou shall trim the wick so it’s 1/4 inch at all times. Long or warped wicks are more likely to burn unevenly, drip or flare up.
6. Thou shall read the manufacturer’s recommendations on burn time and proper use. Each candle is unique, so read the sticker instructions on yours.
7. Thou shall not burn a candle to the very end of its life. Burning your candle all the way down is a fire hazard.
8. Thou shall use a candle snuffer to extinguish a candle. In addition to adding an element of old-school formality to your candle burning, a snuffer prevents hot wax from splattering.
9. Thou shall place thy candle in a proper candleholder. Is your candleholder heat-resistant, sturdy and able to catch drips?
10. Thou shall extinguish a candle with a high or flickering flame. This is a definite fire hazard, so extinguish the flame.
SERVPRO - YOUR LOCAL DISASTER SPECIALIST
SERVPRO of East Clackamas, Hood River, and Wasco Counties specializes in disaster restoration, cleanup and repair services, for both commercial and residential customers. For more information about SERVPRO, please visit us at SERVPROeastclackamashoodriverwascocounties.com or call us at 541-386-2288